Mike Boguski Trio / Detour
Release Date: May 29, 2020
Label: Goliard Records
Mike Boguski – piano
Roberto Occhipinti – double bass
Davide Direnzo – drums
Recorded by Roberto Occhipinti and
Sydney Galbraith at Modica Music, Toronto
Mixed and mastered by Peter J. Moore
1. King Ramsey / original composition by Mike Boguski
2. So What / originally recorded by Miles Davis
3. Five Days In May / originally recorded by Blue Rodeo
4. Hang On Sloopy / originally recorded by The McCoys
5. Falling Down Blue / originally recorded by Blue Rodeo
6. The Preacher / originally recorded by Horace Silver
7. Come Back Baby / originally recorded by Ray Charles
8. Piranha Pool / originally recorded by Blue Rodeo
9. What Is This Love / originally recorded by Blue Rodeo
Mike Boguski is Blue Rodeo’s keyboardist, a position he’s held since 2008. But like others in the group, his musical ambition extends beyond furthering the legacy of Canada’s roots rock institution.
On his new album Detour, Boguski teams up with Canadian jazz heavyweights, bassist Roberto Occhipinti and drummer Davide Direnzo, to put new spins on some familiar songs. Taking a stripped-down approach that hearkens back to classic Blue Note recordings of the 1940s and 1950s, the trio take on standards such as Miles Davis’ “So What” and Horace Silver’s “The Preacher,” to a range of tunes by Blue Rodeo, along with an original piece paying tribute to Ramsey Lewis, one of Boguski’s heroes.
Mike explains, “With the Blue Rodeo material, I thought back to my one semester at the Berklee College of Music in Boston and a quote I once read from Keith Jarrett about it. He said, ‘Be careful, going there will change your music.’ So with that in mind, I set out to do what I know with this album, but in a jazz way. What I know is Blue Rodeo. I’ve spent pretty much my entire career for the last decade with those guys, so it makes sense to try and express their music in the way that I hear jazz.”
The Mike Boguski Trio’s Detour will be available May 29 on all digital platforms.